Saturday, November 8, 2008

What lesson format is appropriate?

In considering what type of lesson format used for delivery content, I believe examining your objectives is important. While working on my first Master’s degree in Adult Learning and Development, I studied how different objective types (cognitive, attitudinal, skill…) more or less led to an instructional strategy decision. I think the in the case of choosing a lesson format, you could apply the same thinking. Horton touches on this when he talks about when to use certain lessons, for example, for teaching basic knowledge or skills the classic tutorial format is appropriate. When trying to affect emotions or have a complex concept the scenario centered lesson is appropriate. My next blog entry will attempt to create a table that illustrates the lesson type correlated with the different learning outcomes desires. I think that would be of benefit to those considering what format is appropriate. Check back tomorrow to see if you agree...

No comments: