The four basic principles of design provide basic and easy to remember elements of graphic design that will improve the appearance of my print and web based pieces of work! I appreciate the inclusion of these design principles into the study of elearning, realizing that designing elearning which is unappealing and confusing will negatively impact the learning intended. While these principles are simple, they have a huge impact on design! I have begun to look for examples of good design using these principles in the examples Horton uses in the text for this class. These principles add an additional layer of analysis when looking at examples of web based or elearning sites…in addition to common instructional values.
Adding contrasting elements to a piece clearly identifies differences, and determines how the eye will move on the page. Repetition creates organization of information and strengthens the unity of the piece or pieces (pages). Alignment creates a visual connection with elements on a page. Proximity relates items together that should be grouped together in addition to reducing clutter and creating a clearer structure for the reader. These four principles when applied correctly create a fresh look, and make the page more appealing to view or read which should be a conscious effort when designing elearning.
On another subject…designing elearning modules around specific learning objectives are considered topics. The vernacular that Horton uses is sometimes confusing.. why aren’t they just called modules? I couldn’t help but ask myself, and I wrote it in the margin of my text … if one learning objective is covered by a “topic” what do you do when you have a learning objective that can’t be covered in one “topic”? Is it truly a learning objective? In consideration of these questions, I reviewed the objectives from several of the last classes I developed and realized, I hadn’t done a thorough job of considering what were primary and secondary learning objectives. The primary objectives require multiple “topics” (modules) to achieve success, while the secondary objectives could be achieved with one module/topic. While doing this review, I found myself revising objectives from previously designed training, and reorganizing the objectives to create a clearer picture of what I intended to be achieved. It seems the longer I develop training the more I forget! Must be old age.
I did however, find it engaging to read about the various types of topics and what they are best intended to achieve. I intend to create a chart for easier reference from various Horton chapters so I don’t have to pull out the book to determine what strategy to employ. I’ll post it here to by blog when I have it completed…first I have to finish my webinar plan and EdWeb proposal.
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment