Monday, September 15, 2008

My experience so far...

Lessons Learned in Unit 3 of the Designing and Teaching in eLearning Environments Course

Participating in an extended elearning course has proven to be one of the best parts of the elearning experiences! Not only am I learning about how to design effectively for elearning, I am actually learning in an elearning course. The instructional strategies support learning objectives very effectively. I am learning how to transition traditional instructional strategies to an online learning environment. Most recently I participated in online small group discussions. At first it was a little confusing and difficult to follow the conversation, but gradually, I grew used to the tools and the “new” form of communication with my group members. It is interesting the support and spirit of camaraderie that occurs even when you don’t know what someone voice sounds is like or their facial expressions – we are all there to support each other. In this online environment, there are no egos or attitude of trying to show off or be the best. We are all equals. I like that!

So, it is possible to create a small group experience, with the same kind of collaboration and sharing that you get in a face to face group. The difference is the amount of time it takes for a conversation to occur … you must allow for more delay in responses. I look forward to forming groups for our webinar project and experiencing the group dynamics that occur in that project based group work – online!

1 comment:

PRL said...

I went through the ILT ground-based MA program but about half way through the program I began the web-based learning certificate program. Like you, I found it so helpful to be learning about elearning in an online course. You can read about things all you want but its only through actually participating in them that you see the good, the bad, and sometimes the ugly.
Patrick